– 91% of your clients already give to charity (2016 U.S. Trust® Study)
– Many are giving $2,500 – $25,000 to charity each year (2016 U.S. Trust® Study)
Donating appreciated publicly traded securities is the most tax-effective way to give charitably. As financial advisors, many of your clients who give $2,500–$25,000 to charity are writing cheques, which is often the least tax efficient way to give. While these amounts do not justify opening a Charitable Investment Account, the donation of publicly traded securities through our donor-advised fund (DAF) still offers a multitude of options for those wanting to create impact.
By leveraging Charitable Impact, you can provide solutions for all of your charitable clients—regardless of wealth.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to donating publicly traded securities with your client:
- Advisor prepares investment account opening documents and opens transactional account with Charitable Impact
- Your client authorizes transfer of assets to Charitable Impact
- Advisor transfers assets to Charitable Impact and places them in the new transactional account
- Charitable Impact receives gifts and issues a tax receipt for Fair Market Value
- Advisor sells assets, and sends proceeds to Charitable Impact’s Bank Account
- Charitable Impact places proceeds in your client’s Impact Account
- Your client grants money to charities, with our assistance if desired
Depending on how much your client plans to give to charity you could create a Charitable Giving Program, processing these transactions on a regular (monthly, quarterly, or annual) basis.
Your client gets to give to any charity of their choice, with no complication, while you facilitate an added-value charitable experience. Working with us, you can do all this without making changes to your everyday practice.
Make your charitable clients’ lives easier by incorporating charitable giving into their asset management program. Suggest donations of appreciated publicly traded securities to provide your clients with proactive, strategic, and tax-effective giving support.
Leveraging deep sector and financial planning expertise, Charitable Impact has processed over $650 million in charitable donations from 100,000+ generous Canadians. Audited annually by Deloitte and advised by Norton Rose Fulbright and other leading charity lawyers in Canada, our dedicated team has consulted with hundreds of national and international clients, financial advisors, and planners on charitable and strategic giving programs. With our support ,you can bring your clients the joy of giving in a way that is smart and strategic.